Call for submissions
We are currently looking for new and experienced authors to publish on our list. To send your submission, please click here: email@example.com
Working with Amberley
Amberley made its mark in UK publishing with the first full-colour local history series of books in the world, the Through Time series, which is designed to show the changing face of Britain over the last century. From these roots, we have grown into a leading name in non-fiction history, having published over 2,300 local, specialist and general history titles.
We publish a number of different local and specialist history series. If you or anyone you know might be interested in producing these kinds of books with us – or if you have any other projects in mind – please get in touch and we can provide further information. Please note that due to the high volume of submissions received, we are unable to return those sent to us via the post.
What to submit
Local history and sport
Simply get in touch if you would like to write for one of our series. We appreciate your contact telephone number if possible. If you have sample material, please send an outline of no more than 1,000 words about the book you plan to write, together with 4-6 sample images, in an email or attached as a Word document.
Specialist history (transport, industry, collectables, pastimes)
Simply let us know the subject of your book. We appreciate your contact telephone number if possible. If you have sample material, please send an outline of no more than 1,000 words about the book you plan to write, together with 4-6 sample images, in an email or attached as a Word document.
General history (biographies, general interest)
Simply send us an outline of no more than 3,000 words about the book you plan to write. This should include a brief summary of the subject, your approach to it, a contents list if possible, and who the likely readership is. Please send your outline as a Word document attached to your submission email. We appreciate your contact telephone number if possible.
Custom publishing (for your company or organisation)
Simply send us an outline of the book you would like to have published, either in an email or attached as a Word document. We appreciate your contact telephone number if possible. We will be in touch shortly to discuss your requirements.
Local History Series by Amberley
Our flagship series, which offers a then-and-now comparison of an area.
These are short illustrated histories focusing on an area in a particular decade such as the 1950s, 1960s or 1970s.
These examine an area during the First and Second World Wars and relate the personal histories of those living in the town or city at the time.
These histories chart a town or city’s past including quirky, little-known historical facts.
From Old Photographs
A guided tour of an area and its history via old photographs.
The Postcard Collection
Similar in tone to From Old Photographs but using entirely old postcards to tell the story of an area.
A series that describes the history of pubs in the area, often structured as a guided walk and focusing on anecdotes and interesting characters.
- Local History
- Cumbria and Lake District84item
- Derbyshire and Peak District72item
- Durham and Teesside51item
- Isle of Man4item
- Isle of Wight11item
- Lancashire, Greater Manchester and Merseyside310item
- London, Greater London, Middlesex399item
- Northumberland and Tyne and Wear124item
- Somerset, Bristol and Bath139item
- Warwickshire and West Midlands170item
- Mid Wales14item
- North Wales35item
- South Wales61item
- South West Wales12item
- Central Scotland111item
- Lowland Scotland and Borders30item
- Northern Scotland, Highlands and Islands49item
- Isle of Skye1item
- Orkney Islands5item
- Shetland Islands1item
- Western Isles and Outer Hebrides4item
- Northern Ireland14item
- Channel Islands20item
- General History
- General History164item
- Ancient History: to c.500 CE103item
- Early History: c.500 to c.1450/1500200item
- Early Modern History: c.1450/1500 to c.1700184item
- Shakespeare Studies & Criticism15item
- Modern History to 20th Century: c.1700 to c.1900154item
- 20th Century History: c.1900 to c.2000253item
- Social, Cultural and Other History455item
- True Stories, Diaries and Memoirs205item
- True Crime81item
- Jewish Studies and Judaism15item
- Inland Waterways and Rivers80item
- General Pub, Cookery and Beverages Books112item
- Colouring and Activity Books7item
- Military History
- Transport & Industry
- Amberley Series
- Current Month
- Coming Soon
- About Us