Maidstone Corporation Transport
- Eric Baldock
15th July 2012
Maidstone Corporation fi rst began operating trams on 14 July 1904, in conjunction with the municipal electricity supply. Motor buses were introduced from 7 April 1924, and, to replace the trams which were being phased out through 1929 and 1930, trolleybuses were introduced on 1 May 1928. Towards the end of the 1960s, it was decided that the trolleybuses should be phased out themselves and the Corporation continued operating buses alone until it ceased to exist in 1974. Using offi cial photographs, commercial postcards, enthusiasts' pictures and ephemera, this volume records the history of Maidstone Corporation's transport operations until it was replaced by Maidstone Borough following the local government reorganisation. Eric has been interested in transport since the days when his journeys to Maidstone Grammar School involved a trolleybus ride and has spent his career working in public transport. He is a member of the M&D and East Kent Bus Club and a founder member of the Maidstone Postcard Club.