Edinburgh, Granton and Leith Railways
- Kenneth G. Williamson
15th April 2023
In 1861, the Caledonian Railway, in its efforts to gain a foothold in Granton and Leith, opened a line from Slateford to Granton with a connection to Granton Harbour, where the Edinburgh, Dundee & Perth Railway (NBR) was already established. The CR further built, at great expense, an elevated line to Leith Docks in an effort to establish itself in one of Scotland’s busiest ports. Significant dock traffic never materialised and the CR’s 1903 Leith New Lines failed. The North British Railway meanwhile, in their attempt to keep the CR out of Leith, opened Leith Central station in 1903 – the largest station constructed in Britain from scratch in the twentieth century. The station was much larger than necessary and as such was never used to its full potential. It was converted in 1955 to a Diesel Maintenance Depot and in 1972 closed completely.
With a wealth of superb rare and previously unpublished images, Kenneth G. Williamson tells the story of Edinburgh, Granton and Leith railways.