Class 25, 26 and 27 Locomotives in Scotland
- Colin J. Howat
15th August 2023
These locomotives were introduced to British Rail in 1956 and were initially allocated to Eastfield Depot in Glasgow and Haymarket Depot in Edinburgh. They became known as Type 2s and were used for both passenger and freight services. In later years the Class 26 fleet became dedicated to various coal workings in the Ayrshire area. A number of Class 27 locos were later converted for push-pull operation on the busy Glasgow Queen Street–Edinburgh service from 1971 and lasted until 1980.
This book covers all three classes from the BR era through to privatisation and beyond. All classes carried out sterling work all over Scotland and some are now preserved at various heritage lines throughout Scotland.