About the Author:
Jean Welsford was a highly respected local historian and was once a warden of Cirencester's Teachers Centre. When Daniel George Bingham opened The Bingham Library in 1905 he intended it to be used by everyone in Cirencester and he welcomed donations of material relating to the local area. During the 1980s Jean organised and catalogued the collection and it is now housed in the Gloucestershire Archives. Before her untimely death, Jean was also Local Studies consultant, a project funded by the Trustees of the Library.