Lee Bank to Attwood Green Through Time
Series: Through Time
15th October 2010
No district of Birmingham has had so many name changes and major redevelopments as Lee Bank. Once known as Holloway Head then Bath Row the previous Lee Bank area is now part of a new district called Attwood Green after Thomas Attwood Birmingham's first MP. Lee Bank once housed thousands of families living in a congestion of substandard Victorian working-class back-to-back and terraced houses together with industries, local public houses and shops. Between 1950 and 1970 Lee Bank underwent major regeneration that cleared the old housing and replaced them with maisonettes and tower blocks. At the beginning of the twenty-first century the district began another redevelopment scheme which involved replacing most of the 1970s rebuild with new modern accommodation, hotels and green areas within the new Attwood Green district.